Obama's overseas travel sets off the Obameter
By Angie Drobnic Holan
Published on Tuesday, April 7th, 2009 at 4:10 p.m.
President Barack Obama's international travels have got the Obameter humming. We recently rated three promises about his foreign policy proposals:
• No. 511: Recognize the Armenian genocide . During the campaign, Obama said he thought the events of 1915 constituted genocide, and he would call them by their proper name. But in Turkey, when asked about it specifically, he wouldn't say the word. We rated this Promise Broken. Read our complete ruling for more on the Armenian genocide and extended excerpts of Obama's remarks.
• No. 196: Extend monitoring and verification provisions of the START I Treaty . Obama is aiming even higher than his promise on this one. Obama and Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said they intended to negotiate a new agreement to replace START before the year's end. A timetable has been set for a next meeting. We rated this Promise In the Works .
• No. 170: Double U.S. spending on foreign aid to $50 Billion a year by 2012 . We checked Obama's budget on this one, and he is increasing the amount the United States spends on foreign aid. It's not clear whether it will double by 2012 or not. Still, we rate it In the Works .
See individual promises for sources.
Researchers: Angie Drobnic Holan
Names in this article: Barack Obama
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact:
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag