High-speed train not a Mickey Mouse line
By Alexander Lane
Published on Friday, February 27th, 2009 at 5:16 p.m.
Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal used a moment in the national spotlight to claim the stimulus bill was "larded with wasteful spending," including money for what sounded like a theme-park ride.
"It includes $300 million to buy new cars for the government, $8 billion for high-speed rail projects, such as a 'magnetic levitation' line from Las Vegas to Disneyland, and $140 million for something called 'volcano monitoring,'" Jindal said of the $787 billion American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, responding on national television to President Obama's first speech to Congress on Feb. 24, 2009.
We took a look at Jindal's claim and found the truth was in the middle. You can read our findings
in this item.
Email comments and suggestions for fact-checks to firstname.lastname@example.org or find us on Facebook, Twitter and Google+. (If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.)
We're especially interested in any chain emails or social media memes that you would like us to check out.
Keep up to date with Politifact :
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag