Obama silent on Defense of Marriage Act
By Angie Drobnic Holan
Published on Monday, June 15th, 2009 at 6:48 p.m.
During the campaign, President Barack Obama said he would work to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act, a law that gay rights groups oppose. But we've seen little action to show a repeal is in the works. And last week, the Justice Department filed a brief defending the law. Read more details about why we rated this promise Stalled .
See individual item for sources.
Researchers: Angie Drobnic Holan
Names in this article: Barack Obama
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact:
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag