Mileage and the Model T
By Angie Drobnic Holan
Published on Thursday, March 19th, 2009 at 5:32 p.m.
We looked into President Barack Obama's claim that a 1908 Model T gets better mileage than today's SUVs.
He may be technically correct, but he's overlooking a lot of differences between the two types of vehicles. Today's SUVs can go faster and have many safety features. We rated Obama's statement Mostly True; see details for more.
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact :
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag