Fact-checking Sarah Palin as she goes 'Rogue'
By Angie Drobnic Holan
Published on Friday, November 13th, 2009 at 5:28 p.m.
UPDATE: Nov. 16, 2009
We've gotten an early copy of Sarah Palin's book, Going Rogue, and will be putting it to the Truth-O-Meter over the next few days. So far we've examined the following claims, which were similar to items we've published previously:
* Palin is correct that when he was a candidate, Barack Obama said his cap and trade plan would cause electricity prices to skyrocket. We rated that one True .
* We found Palin was incorrect that Alaska would have needed a new universal building code in order to accept stimulus money. We rated that False .
* We also checked a recent note on Palin's Facebook page. She said that under the House health care bill, the government "will have to penalize citizens if we choose not to buy a plan that will cost a minimum of about $15,000 per family per year ." We found that exaggerated the case and rated her statement Barely True.
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact :
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag