New exaggerations in cap-and-trade battle
By Catharine Richert
Published on Wednesday, October 7th, 2009 at 6:28 a.m.
The focus in Congress has been on health care for the past few weeks, but the debate about the Democrats' cap-and-trade plan continues to simmer.
An industry group, EnergyCitizens.Org, has been running full-page ads in the Washington Post warning of dire consequences if the bill is passed. We put two of the group's claims to the Truth-O-Meter:
* The group says gasoline will reach $4 a gallon. We rated that Barely True .
* The group says the bill would eliminate 2 million jobs. That one, too, got a Barely True .
See Truth-O-Meter items.
Researchers: Catharine Richert
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact:
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag