Health insurance hijinks!
By Angie Drobnic Holan
Published on Tuesday, October 13th, 2009 at 6:42 p.m.
With health care reform in the headlines, we look at two claims about the health insurance industry.
• The day before an important vote in a Senate committee, a health insurance industry group released a report saying that health care reform will dramatically increase the cost of insurance . The Obama administration criticized the report as selective, saying it "ignores some of the key policies that are part of the Senate Finance Committee bill." We found that statement True.
• The liberal group Americans United for Change asks in a new ad, "How are professional baseball and insurance companies alike? Baseball and insurance are the only industries exempt from antitrust laws." We found that statement False.
See individual items for sources.
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact :
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag