The pundits, 0 for 3
By Bill Adair
Published on Wednesday, October 28th, 2009 at 9:59 a.m.
As part of our new emphasis on checking pundits and talk show hosts, we've done three checks on some recent claims by Rachel Maddow, Bill O'Reilly and Mary Matalin.
* Maddow claimed that President George W. Bush never gave an interview to the New York Times . We found three. Maddow earned a False.
* Matalin claimed that the Earth has been cooling the last 10 years. We checked the climate data and found that's not the case. Another False.
* O'Reilly claimed that the tale of White House adviser Anita Dunn's remarks about Mao Tse-tung was only covered by Fox. But we found plenty of coverage by other outlets. False again.
To check all our ratings on pundits and talk show hosts, see our Pundit page .
See Truth-O-Meter items.
Researchers: Bill Adair
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact:
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag