On Sunday shows, reruns
On the Sunday talk shows, President Barack Obama did the political equivalent of hitting for the cycle, appearing on shows on four English-language networks, plus Spanish-language Univision.
Each was taped separately with a different host, but Obama managed to hit virtually the same talking points on each show. You could choose any show and have a pretty good idea of what he said on the others — health care premiums were up 5.5 percent last year, the health care bills are about 80 percent of the way toward meeting his goals, but "that last 20 percent is tough" (ABC) and "we've really got to work on that next 20 percent" (CNN). And so on.
We checked two facts from the interviews:
* He said the average family pays $900 in extra costs every year to pay for the uninsured. There's some dispute about that number, and we rated it Half True.
* He claimed that his beloved White Sox could still make the playoffs. Mathematically, that's at least possible and he earned a True.
See Truth-O-Meter items.
Names in this article: Barack Obama
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact:
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag