Has GM settled its debt with the government?
By Robert Farley
Published on Tuesday, April 27th, 2010 at 5:53 p.m.
If you've watched any TV in the last week, you've likely seen the TV ad with GM CEO Ed Whitacre boasting, "We have repaid our government loan, in full, with interest, five years ahead of the original schedule."
It's true that GM has squared up on its government loans, but Whitacre isn't telling the full story here.
For example, he doesn't mention that more than $40 billion the U.S. government invested in GM stock, which most experts agree taxpayers are unlikely to ever see a full return on.
We rated Whitacre's statement Half True.
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact:
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag