Checking Boehner's speech on the economy
By Bill Adair
Published on Wednesday, August 25th, 2010 at 11:58 a.m.
Rep. John Boehner, as House minority leader, is not bashful when it comes to criticizing the Obama administration and arguing that his Republican party offers a better way. Boehner seized that opportunity again during an appearance at the City Club of Cleveland.
His targets were familiar ones: health care reform, the stimulus program, slow economic recovery and federal government running amok.
"Since February 2009, the private sector has lost millions of jobs while the federal government has grown by hundreds of thousands of workers," the Ohio Republican said.
That sounded familiar to us because other Republicans have used the same line. But here, as with the other claims, we found Boehner was stretching the truth because he was including temporary census workers. We rated his claim Half True.
See Truth-O-Meter item.
Researchers: Bill Adair
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
Keep up to date with Politifact :
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag