The Sunday Veepstakes
By Angie Drobnic Holan
Published on Tuesday, February 16th, 2010 at 6:22 p.m.
The current and former vice presidents, Joe Biden and Dick Cheney, battled it out on the Sunday morning talk shows Feb. 14, debating the Obama administration's policies on bringing accused terrorists to justice.
We've checked three facts from their debate so far:
• Biden said that military commissions haven't produced that many convictions. "There have been three people tried and convicted by the last administration in military courts," Biden said. "Two are walking the street right now." We rated that statement True.
• Biden also talked about government spending on health care. Among the money spent on health care in the United States, he said, "46 cents on every dollar spent is through Medicare and Medicaid." We rated that Half True.
• Cheney said that President Barack Obama's "initial response when we heard about the Christmas underwear bomber" was to say that "this was the act of an isolated extremist." We rated that Half True.
See individual items for sources.
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact:
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag