More fact-checks from this week's 'This Week'
By Bill Adair
Published on Wednesday, July 14th, 2010 at 5:38 p.m.
We're wrapping up our checks of Sunday's edition of This Week.
We've done three items:
• We fact-checked Rep. Luis Gutierrez's statement, "Forty percent of the undocumented workers in this country" entered the U.S. legally and "overstayed their visa." We rated this Mostly True. Most of the evidence supports his statement, but some of the data is imprecise and slightly out of date.
• We checked George Will's claim that President Barack Obama "said if we pass the $767 billion stimulus bill . . . we would have unemployment at 8 percent and no higher. And it went higher." Many Republicans have made the same claim over the past year. But we rated that Barely True because, although a White House document included that number in a projection about the potential impact of the stimulus, it included many caveats.
• We checked the claim by White House adviser David Axelrod that Republicans extended unemployment insurance under President Bush "when he asked to extend unemployment insurance." We found that was generally correct but that the economic conditions were very different. We rated it Mostly True.
See Truth-O-Meter items.
Researchers: Bill Adair
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact:
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag