Is Jon Stewart right that Congress often worked on Christmas?
By Bill Adair
Published on Friday, December 9th, 2011 at 6:48 a.m.
We don't usually check comedians, but a factual claim by Jon Stewart piqued our interest.
The Daily Show host said members of Congress in the 1700s and early 1800s often worked on Christmas. He cited a clip from the History Channel.
PolitiFact Rhode Island dug into the congressional attendance records and discovered Congress actually rarely met on Christmas.
See Truth-O-Meter item.
Researchers: Bill Adair
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact:
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag