Fact-checking the prank call and other Wisconsin claims
By Bill Adair
Published on Thursday, February 24th, 2011 at 10:49 a.m.
We don't typically fact-check prank calls, but when a blogger called Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker pretending to be a Republican power broker, the governor's recorded conversation included an interesting factual claim.
The governor said that "there’s a much smaller group of protesters almost all of whom are in from other states today."
Our partners at PolitiFact Wisconsin put that one to the Truth-O-Meter and found the governor was wrong about the protesters.
PolitiFact Wisconsin and PolitiFact National have also published several other new fact-checks on the budget brouhaha:
● The Wisconsin Democratic Party claimed on its Facebook page that the five states that outlaw collective bargaining for teachers all rank below 44th in the nation in test scores, while Wisconsin ranks 2nd. We found that False.
● Walker said Democrats were being hypocritical by fleeing the state to deny Republicans a quorum on the budget bill. "These are many of the same senators who, two years ago, rammed through a billion-dollar tax hike in 24 hours with no public input," Walker declared. We rated that True.
● A Democratic state Sen. tested our knowledge of German history. "The history of Hitler," said state Sen. Lena Taylor, "in 1933, he abolished unions, and that’s what our governor’s doing today." We found that was ridiculously false and rated it Pants on Fire.
See Truth-O-Meter items.
Researchers: Bill Adair
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact:
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag