Top 10 most obscure Obama campaign promises
By Bill Adair
Published on Monday, December 10th, 2012 at 12:02 p.m.
The 508 promises included in our Obameter include some really obscure pledges that are so deep in the weeds only a wonk can appreciate them. As we wrap up our ratings of President Obama's 2008 promises, here are some of the really obscure ones:
1. Support regional innovation clusters — Promise Kept
2. Set goals and timetables for implementing Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act — Promise Kept
3. Increase funding for programs that conserve lands and habitat for select species such as the Osceola turkey — Promise Kept
4. Attract foreign art talent — Compromise
5. Create a Social Investment Fund Network — Promise Kept
6. Amend the Medicare "homebound" rule to allow some travel without loss of benefits — Promise Broken
7. Launch an international Add Value to Agriculture Initiative (AVTA) — Promise Kept
8. Sign the Responsible Fatherhood and Healthy Families Act — Compromise
9. Double federal program to help "reverse" commuters who go from city to suburbs — Promise Broken
10. Seek code of conduct for space-faring nations — Compromise
See Obameter items.
Names in this article: Barack Obama
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact:
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag