The Obameter and the rise of Compromise
By Bill Adair
Published on Tuesday, December 18th, 2012 at 3:15 p.m.
Barack Obama has learned a lesson from Mick Jagger: You can't always get what you want.
Of the 508 promises PolitiFact is tracking with the Obameter, 22 percent (112) are rated Compromise.
They involve everything from high-profile promises on the "making work pay" tax credit (he wanted $500 but had to settle for $400) to some that are deep in the weeds of policy such as his pledge to double funding for the Manufacturing Extension Partnership (he's increased it but hasn't doubled it).
Lately, as we have been updating our ratings on Obama's 2008 promises, we've been giving many Compromise ratings. A few more examples:
- Seek more information sharing on security between feds and localities.
- Hold hospitals and health plans accountable for disparities in care.
- Reform federal contracting and reduce number of contractors.
As we begin rating new promises Obama made in 2012, we expect we'll be seeing more compromises. But Obama seems to have made the political calculation that even though he can't always get what he wants, if he tries sometimes, he just might find, he gets what he needs.
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact:
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag