Men, monkeys and the origin of AIDS
By Zack McMillin
Published on Friday, February 3rd, 2012 at 11:10 a.m.
Tennessee state Sen. Stacey Campfield sparked an uproar with his comments about gay people and the origin of AIDS.
In one claim, Campfield said AIDS was transmitted to humans because "one guy" had sex with "a monkey" and then started "having sex with men." PolitiFact Tennessee put that claim to the Truth-O-Meter.
See Truth-O-Meter item.
Researchers: Zack McMillin
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact:
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag