For birthday of president No. 1, a look No. 44
By Becky Bowers
Published on Sunday, February 19th, 2012 at 12:00 p.m.
In honor of Washington’s Birthday, we’re throwing the spotlight on our current leader’s record for truth-telling.
President Barack Obama, PolitiFact's most fact-checked politician, has faced the Truth-O-Meter more than 340 times since our first Obama item in June 2007.
He’s earned ratings of True or Mostly True 46 percent of the time — and 71 percent of his ratings have been Half True or better.
At the other end of the spectrum, he’s racked up 42 Mostly False and 52 False ratings — and five Pants on Fires:
• "Mitt Romney, Rick Perry, and Newt Gingrich all say they would cut foreign aid to Israel — and every other country — to zero."
• "What I have done -- and this is unprecedented ... is I've said to each agency ... 'look at regulations that are already on the books and if they don't make sense, let's get rid of them.'"
• "If you actually took the number of Muslims [sic] Americans, we'd be one of the largest Muslim countries in the world."
• "And 100 percent, John (McCain), of your ads . . . 100 percent of them have been negative."
• Obama ad contends that John McCain endorses Rush Limbaugh's comments about immigration.
Now, if only that story about George Washington and the cherry tree ("I can't tell a lie!") were true.
PolitiFact, "Barack Obama's file," accessed Feb. 17, 2012
Papers of George Washington, University of Virginia, accessed Feb. 17, 2012
Researchers: Becky Bowers
Names in this article: Barack Obama
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact:
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag