Checking the facts on Romneycare and Obamacare
The health care debate has landed on the virtual battleground of Facebook, with comparisons being made between President Barack Obama’s 2010 law and the bill that Republican Mitt Romney signed in Massachusetts.
A reader asked us to check this graphic that claims "Romneycare covers abortion, illegal immigrants and has a public option. Obamacare does not." We’ve also seen that statement repeated on Twitter.
Really? We checked the claims one by one and found the Facebook posting largely missed the mark. We rated it Mostly False.
See Truth-O-Meter item.
Researchers: Molly Moorhead
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact:
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag