Tracking a 'zombie' stat: PunditFact dissects an inaccurate statistic on women and poverty
By Angie Drobnic Holan
Published on Tuesday, July 8th, 2014 at 11:38 a.m.
Our partners at PunditFact were intrigued by this claim made by Carly Fiorina, the former CEO of Hewlett-Packard, on ABC’s Sunday show This Week: "70 percent of the people living in abject poverty are women."
The problem: That statistic isn't accurate.
So where did it come from, and why does it keep getting repeated? Read a special report from PunditFact to find out. The video report at right gives you highlights of PunditFact's findings
See story for sources.
Researchers: Angie Drobnic Holan
Email comments and suggestions for fact-checks to email@example.com or find us on Facebook, Twitter and Google+. (If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.)
We're especially interested in any chain emails or social media memes that you would like us to check out.
Keep up to date with Politifact :
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag