"We now have the greatest income inequality since the Great Depression."
John Edwards on Saturday, May 12th, 2007 in a story by Reuters wire service.
Economists find large income gap
Published: Tuesday, June 12th, 2007 at 12:00 a.m.
Sources:Quarterly Journal of Economics , with updated charts and more studies by Emmanuel Saez, University of California at Berkley, here ; U.S. Census Bureau, whose 2000 report on the topic can be found here. ; and the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact:
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag