Bidding to become Texas’ lieutenant governor, Jerry Patterson discusses his track record on gun rights in a campaign video released Nov. 19, 2013.
Running for lieutenant governor, Jerry Patterson claims that not only did predictions of "blood in the streets" fail to come true after a 1996 law let eligible Texans get licenses to carry concealed handguns, but firearms homicides fell 40 percent.
A scorecard separating fact from fiction
We want to hear your suggestions and comments. Email the Texas Truth-O-Meter with feedback and with claims you'd like to see checked. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
PolitiFact Texas is a partnership of the Austin American-Statesman and PolitiFact.com, a Pulitzer Prize-winning Web site of the Tampa Bay Times, to help you find the truth in politics.
Every day, reporters and researchers from the American-Statesman examine statements by Texas elected officials and candidates and anyone else who speaks up on matters of public importance. We research their statements and then rate the accuracy on our Truth-O-Meter:
TRUE – The statement is accurate and there’s nothing significant missing.
MOSTLY TRUE – The statement is accurate but needs clarification or additional information.
HALF TRUE – The statement is partially accurate but leaves out important details or takes things out of context.
MOSTLY FALSE – The statement contains an element of truth but ignores critical facts that would give a different impression.
FALSE – The statement is not accurate.
PANTS ON FIRE – The statement is not accurate and makes a ridiculous claim.
For more details, see the Principles of PolitiFact and the Truth-O-Meter.
Tracking the promises of Rick Perry
The latest from the Perry-O-Meter
- "About 2 percent of Americans get paid the minimum wage." — Rob Portman
- "By the time she turns 3 years old, a child born into a low-income home hears 30 million fewer words than a child from a well-off family." — Barack Obama
- Says Vladimir Putin said, "President Obama and his fellow Democrats are either idiots or deliberately trying to destroy their own economy." — Facebook posts
- The minimum wage "in real terms right now is below where it was when Harry Truman was in office." — Barack Obama
- "44% of homeless people are employed." — Facebook posts