Greg Abbott referred to people crossing the border and about 3,000 murders in this July 22, 2014, interview with Greta Van Susteren of Fox News.
Rick Perry and Greg Abbott, championing border security, each attributed 3,000 killings to people jailed in Texas living in the United States without legal authorization.
But their declared source for this figure doesn’t prove out such claims--and there are unanswered questions.
A scorecard separating fact from fiction
"We have a 40 to 50 percent dropout rate in our inner-city schools."
"Latinos now make up the majority population in Texas."
Says children are coming into the U.S. in "staggering numbers" because President Barack Obama "has been promising amnesty."
We want to hear your suggestions and comments. Email the Texas Truth-O-Meter with feedback and with claims you'd like to see checked. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
PolitiFact Texas is a partnership of the Austin American-Statesman and PolitiFact.com, a Pulitzer Prize-winning Web site of the Tampa Bay Times, to help you find the truth in politics.
Every day, reporters and researchers from the American-Statesman examine statements by Texas elected officials and candidates and anyone else who speaks up on matters of public importance. We research their statements and then rate the accuracy on our Truth-O-Meter:
TRUE – The statement is accurate and there’s nothing significant missing.
MOSTLY TRUE – The statement is accurate but needs clarification or additional information.
HALF TRUE – The statement is partially accurate but leaves out important details or takes things out of context.
MOSTLY FALSE – The statement contains an element of truth but ignores critical facts that would give a different impression.
FALSE – The statement is not accurate.
PANTS ON FIRE – The statement is not accurate and makes a ridiculous claim.
For more details, see the Principles of PolitiFact and the Truth-O-Meter.
Tracking the promises of Rick Perry
The latest from the Perry-O-Meter
- Gay activists fume over Greg Abbott’s marriage claim
- Ted Cruz and John Cornyn on immigration bill
- Greg Abbott: Heterosexual marriage better for Texas
- Court asked to rehear UT race case
- DPS didn’t recommend sending Guard to border, but thinks it may help
- Court tosses political restrictions on bingo operators
- GOP Texas Senate candidates oppose new form of racetrack betting
- Dropout statistics assumed students never go out of state
- Elon Musk’s ‘LeBron moment’ that could break Texas’ heart
- Plan to expand betting at Texas tracks faces GOP Senate opposition
- Says Rep. Bruce Braley, D-Iowa, "skipped an important VA reform hearing to attend three fundraisers." — Concerned Veterans for America
- Says Rep. Bruce Braley, D-Iowa, missed "79 percent of veterans affairs committee hearings." — Concerned Veterans for America
- "97 percent of the 100 poorest counties in America are in red states." — Facebook posts
- Says Mark Pryor "continues to insist" that Obamacare is "an amazing success." — Tom Cotton
- The Obama administration's policies "have reduced minority dropout rate by 25 percent." — Joe Biden