Troops under Russian command and in unmarked uniforms fired their weapons into the air on March 4 to warn Ukrainian troops to turn back at the Russian-occupied Belbek airbase in Crimea (Getty Images).
The events happening in Ukraine are unfolding quickly and so is the political rhetoric. We summarize six recent fact-checks from PolitiFact and PunditFact.
A scorecard separating fact from fiction
Promise: Double American exports over the next five years
Promise: Create a new trade enforcement unit that will address China's trade practices
Promise: Oppose efforts to privatize Social Security
Promise: Create a new tax credit for companies that bring jobs to the United States from overseas
Promise: Create a veterans job corps
Says "Bill Clinton and George Bush both say build the Keystone XL."
Says 21 million people "still suffer slavery today."
"We are seeing dramatic rate cuts" to Medicare that will affect seniors’ ability to keep their doctor, hospital and prevention services.
Need the Truth when you’re on the go? Our PolitiFact Mobile app is now optimized for the new iOs 7 on your iPhone or ...
PunditFact.com needs an editor as cool as the idea and that’s Aaron Sharockman.
Aaron will be the PunditFact editor, charting a course for ...
More fact-checking -- especially at the state and local level -- could make politicians think twice before they decide to stretch the truth. That’s the interesting ...
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
PolitiFact is a project of the Tampa Bay Times to help you find the truth in American politics. Reporters and editors from the Times fact-check statements by members of Congress, the White House, lobbyists and interest groups and rate them on our Truth-O-Meter:
TRUE – The statement is accurate and there’s nothing significant missing.
MOSTLY TRUE – The statement is accurate but needs clarification or additional information.
HALF TRUE – The statement is partially accurate but leaves out important details or takes things out of context.
MOSTLY FALSE – The statement contains an element of truth but ignores critical facts that would give a different impression.
FALSE – The statement is not accurate.
PANTS ON FIRE – The statement is not accurate and makes a ridiculous claim.
For more details, see the Principles of PolitiFact and the Truth-O-Meter.
To find out more about PolitiFact and the Times, see Who Pays for PolitiFact.
Get the Truth-O-Meter on your smartphone and tablet
PolitiFact Mobile is a full-featured app that features our national fact-checking.
Settle It! PolitiFact's Argument Ender is a free app that allows you to look up claims and play our weekly quiz.
The Obameter is following more than 500 promises made by President Barack Obama in the 2008 and 2012 presidential campaigns.
The latest from the Obameter
Beyond the Truth-O-Meter
Fact-checking around the Web
- Florida — "We have invested record funding in protecting our environment." — Rick Scott
- Oregon — Oregon has never before tried to create a land-use plan for "what it should look like for 50 years." — State Rep. Brian Clem, D-Salem
- Texas — Sarah Eckhardt "refused to take her own pay increases repeatedly." — Change Austin.org
- PunditFact — Says Vladimir Putin once said, "The breakup of the Soviet Union was the greatest geopolitical tragedy of the 20th century." — John Bolton
- Rhode Island — "Marijuana contains 50 to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco." — Michael Cerullo
Keep up to date with PolitiFact:
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag