President Barack Obama addressed the nation on Sept. 10, 2014. (AP Photo)
Pundits discussed President Barack Obama's plan to defeat the Islamic State in Syria and Iraq, as well as the NFL's handling of the Ray Rice case.
A scorecard separating fact from fiction
Says "John Barrow voted with Obama 85 percent of the time."
Says Glenn Grothman pushed through state tax credits that when phased in, "someone that owns a factory that produces millions in income" will pay "less tax than their nephew would if he worked full time at Taco Bell for minimum wage."
Coming soon, you’ll notice a new look at PolitiFact. Our site will work better on tablets and smart phones, so you can easily read ...
Need the Truth when you’re on the go? Our PolitiFact Mobile app is now optimized for the new iOs 7 on your iPhone or ...
PunditFact.com needs an editor as cool as the idea and that’s Aaron Sharockman.
Aaron will be the PunditFact editor, charting a course for ...
Email comments and suggestions for fact-checks to firstname.lastname@example.org or find us on Facebook, Twitter and Google+. (If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.)
We're especially interested in any chain emails or social media memes that you would like us to check out.
PolitiFact is an independent fact-checking journalism website aimed at bringing you the truth in politics. PolitiFact's reporters and editors fact-check statements from the White House, Congress, candidates, advocacy groups and more, rating claims for accuracy on our Truth-O-Meter. Every fact-check includes analysis of the claim, an explanation of our reasoning and a list of links to all our sources. PolitiFact tracks President Barack Obama's campaign promises on our Obameter.
PolitiFact, a division of the Tampa Bay Times, won the Pulitzer Prize in 2009 for its fact-checking of the presidential election. The Times, Florida's largest newspaper, is independently owned by the Poynter Institute, a school for journalists in St. Petersburg, Fla.
Read an extended explanation of our ratings and our approach to fact-checking journalism, the Principles of PolitiFact and the Truth-O-Meter.
Get the Truth-O-Meter on your smartphone and tablet
PolitiFact Mobile is a full-featured app that features our national fact-checking.
Settle It! PolitiFact's Argument Ender is a free app that allows you to look up claims and play our weekly quiz.
The Obameter is following more than 500 promises made by President Barack Obama in the 2008 and 2012 presidential campaigns.
The latest from the Obameter
Beyond the Truth-O-Meter
Fact-checking around the Web
- PunditFact — Says Dick Cheney "de-Ba’athisized the Iraqi government and created ISIS." — Chris Matthews
- Texas — "As chair of the Senate Education Committee, I led the charge to restore most of the education cuts from last session." — Dan Patrick
- Georgia — Women still do not get paid as much as men, even "for the same work, period." — Connie Stokes
- PunditFact — Says NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell interviewed domestic abuse victim Janay Rice with Ray Rice present and for "every domestic violence agency, every law enforcement agency, that’s a no-no." — Mike Wise
- PunditFact — "The president referred to the Syrian opposition just a few months ago as pharmacists and doctors, and so on." — Michael Hayden
- National — Craig Wisnom emailed us to say that he had created this meme for the Facebook ... — Facebook posts
- National — Being Liberal posted a correction on its Facebook page on March 26, 2014, along with ... — Facebook posts
Keep up to date with PolitiFact:
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag