Cantor earns Pants on Fire for World of Warcraft
By Sean Gorman
Published on Friday, February 22nd, 2013 at 11:24 a.m.
House Majority Leader Cantor says Washington’s spending habits are so bad that they’ve entered the realm of fantasy.
"The National Science Foundation spent $1.2 million paying seniors to play World of Warcraft to study the impact it had on their brain," Cantor, R-7th, claimed in a Feb. 19 news release identifying examples of what he said are wasteful spending.
PolitiFact Virginia plunged into the depths of Azeroth to investigate his claim and found his backpack was empty. Pants on Fire!
See Truth-O-Meter item.
Researchers: Sean Gorman
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact :
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag