"Hillary Clinton has taken over $800,000 from lobbyists."
Barack Obama on Thursday, April 17th, 2008 in an online ad.
Clinton accepts lobbyist money
The Web-only ad outlines the following steps with on-screen text:
Step 1: "Lobbyists donate to politicians."
Step 2: "Politicians defend lobbyists."
Step 3: "Americans pay the price."
As part of the first step, the ad states:
"Senator Hillary Clinton has taken over $800,000 from lobbyists, more money than any other candidate — Republican or Democrat:
* Over $130,000 from energy lobbyists
* Over $130,000 from drug company lobbyists
* Over $125,000 from health care and insurance lobbyists."
We asked the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics, which categorizes and analyzes political contributions, whether this text was accurate.
The $800,000 number is correct. A recent analysis by the center showed Clinton has accepted $865,290 from lobbyists, based on data released on March 20, 2008.
The threshold of contributions by industry the ad lists for Clinton is probably too low, said Massie Ritsch, a spokesman for the center.
The center's analysis found the following amounts that lobbyists gave to Clinton:
* Energy: $442,800
* Pharmaceuticals/health products: $450,450
* Hospitals, health services/HMOs and insurance companies: $552,050
* Health professionals: $114,755.
Based on these numbers, we find Obama's statement that Clinton has taken more than $800,000 from lobbyists to be True.
Published: Thursday, April 17th, 2008 at 12:00 a.m.
Sources:Center for Responsive Politics, Contributions from Selected Industries: Lobbyists , March 20, 2008
Interview with Massie Ritsch of the Center for Responsive Politics
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact:
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag