McCain overbids on eBay
By Bill Adair
Published on Monday, October 8th, 2007 at 7:33 p.m.
We checked Sen. McCain's claim that 50,000 people make their living by selling things on eBay. As McCain himself said, "a lot of people don't know" this. No kidding. We couldn't find a soul.
The best we could do was a Half-True.
Here are some other items we completed:
* Fred Thompson got his lines wrong. He earns a False for his claim that the Iraq Study Group reported that Saddam Hussein "had designs on reviving his nuclear program." The bipartisan panel said no such thing. We suspect Thompson was referring to another group.
* Rudy Giuliani exaggerated his tax cuts. He said he cut taxes 23 times when he was mayor of New York City, but he's including cuts that others championed. We give him a Half True.
Sources:See individual Truth-O-Meter rulings
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact :
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag