A Dartmouth numbers game
By Scott Montgomery
Published on Thursday, September 27th, 2007 at 3:58 p.m.
• Gov. Bill Richardson claimed that New Mexico's economy ranked sixth among states for growth. It has been a refrain of his campaign that the state's economy improved under his tenure, and in this case we find his boast to be Mostly True.
• Rep. Dennis Kucinich said Social Security is "solid" until 2040. Indeed it is, according to the most recent government report, so he gets a True. But a word of caution: that's the year when the trust fund would be depleted.
• Sen. Joe Biden claimed that drinking by pregnant women leads to the birth of 300,000 deformed babies every year. Ooof, he's off by a bunch. You have to include learning disabilities among the deformities to get to 40,000.
Sources:Transcript, Democratic Presidential debate on MSNBC, Sept. 26, 2007
Researchers: Scott Montgomery
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact:
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag