Vanilla in Phila.
By Bill Adair
Published on Wednesday, April 16th, 2008 at 9:59 p.m.
Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama were just a few blocks from Independence Hall, but their debate on April 16, 2008 had few fireworks. It did, however, raise a new controversy that had already been simmering on conservative blogs: Obama's ties to a former member of the Weather Underground.
Clinton spent much of the debate suggesting that Obama's background had not been fully explored. Obama said voters were tired of campaign sniping that distracted from critical issues.
We checked several facts from the debate:
• Clinton correctly characterized the relationship between Obama and William Ayers, a former member of the Weather Underground, earning another True.
• Obama accurately described income inequality, saying it was the largest gap since the 1920s. We rated that True.
• Clinton was right that Iranian leader Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has recently said he has doubts about what the U.S. says happened in the Sept. 11 attacks. We rated that one True.
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact:
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag