Talking hope, on the 50-yard line
By Bill Adair
Published on Thursday, August 28th, 2008 at 11:25 p.m.
It was a political rally of epic proportions: more than 84,000 people packed into a football stadium chanting "Yes we can!" On the 45th anniversary of Martin Luther King's "I have a dream speech," Sen. Barack Obama accepted the Democratic nomination for president and told the crowd that "It's time for us to change America."
We checked several of Obama's claims and a couple more from other speakers at the Democratic convention:
• We found Obama was doing a little cherry-picking with his claim that Sen. John McCain "said no to higher fuel-efficiency standards for cars." In fact, McCain has a mixed record, having opposed such measures in 2003 and 2005. But he was such a leader in the effort to raise fuel economy that he was lauded by Sen. Edward Kennedy. We gave Obama's claim a Barely True.
• Obama also was off with his comparison of family income during the Clinton and Bush administrations. We rated that one Half True.
• But Obama was correct with his claim that oil imports have tripled since John McCain joined Congress. That one earned a True.
• And he also got the number right on a popular claim among Democrats this week when he said, "John McCain has voted with George Bush 90 percent of the time." Another True.
We also checked a couple of other claims from Sen. Joe Biden, Obama's running mate:
• Biden correctly quoted McCain as saying, "Afghanistan — we don't read about it anymore in papers because it succeeded." We gave that one a True.
• We also found that Biden had his number right that McCain voted 19 times against a minimum-wage increase. Another True.
Sources:See individual Truth-O-Meter items
Researchers: Bill Adair
Names in this article: Chain email
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact:
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag