Obameter finds more promises Stalled
By Bill Adair
Published on Thursday, December 3rd, 2009 at 6:17 p.m.
As we explore President Barack Obama's campaign promises (all 514 of them!), the Obameter is seeing more red.
We're busily trying to update all of the promises by Jan. 20, the one-year mark of his presidency, and are now digging into some of his more obscure pledges. As we do, we've found a fair number with little or no action.
Among the recent ones:
• His pledge to raise the minimum wage to $9.50 an hour . He has until 2011 to do that, but we've seen no action so far and have rated it Stalled.
• His promise to cut the cost of a typical family's health care premium by up to $2,500 a year . Another Stalled.
• His promise to spend at least $50 billion by 2013 for the global fight against HIV/AIDS . That too has earned a Stalled.
We should note that the needle on the Obameter can move up and down, and it's possible that a promise that earns a Stalled today could still ultimately be a Promise Kept. But our experience is that Stalled items more likely move to Promise Broken.
We'll be following them all, so stay tuned.
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact :
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag