There's no safety in jobless numbers
By Angie Drobnic Holan
Published on Tuesday, December 15th, 2009 at 6:38 p.m.
With the economy still a top concern for voters, we look at two statements from Democrats on jobs and health insurance.
President Barack Obama said, "We've created or saved up to 1.6 million jobs, according to the CBO -- the Congressional Budget Office -- through the Recovery Act." We rated his statement Half True; read about the important context that he left out .
On the other hand, job losses don't appear to be growing as fast as they were earlier this year. That made a significant impact on Sen. Tom Harkin's statement: "Today and every day, an estimated 14,000 Americans will lose their health insurance coverage." Find out why that number isn't as high as it used to be ; we rated his statement False.
Email comments and suggestions for fact-checks to firstname.lastname@example.org or find us on Facebook, Twitter and Google+. (If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.)
We're especially interested in any chain emails or social media memes that you would like us to check out.
Keep up to date with Politifact :
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag