Counting votes on abortion
By Angie Drobnic Holan
Published on Wednesday, November 11th, 2009 at 7:30 p.m.
Rep. Loretta Sanchez, who favors abortion rights, said that "progressives are really angry" because they believe poor women should have the choice to get an abortion if they want one.
"On the other hand, we have to acknowledge that the House of Representatives is not a majority prochoice," Sanchez said. "And I've told that to a lot of prochoice groups. I would count maybe about 150 prochoice votes. You need 218 to get to pass a bill."
We rated that Mostly True. Read our full report on counting votes on abortion .
See item for full sources.
Researchers: Angie Drobnic Holan
Names in this article: Loretta Sanchez
Email comments and suggestions for fact-checks to email@example.com or find us on Facebook, Twitter and Google+. (If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.)
We're especially interested in any chain emails or social media memes that you would like us to check out.
Keep up to date with Politifact :
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag