Obama on the meters
By Angie Drobnic Holan
Published on Thursday, April 1st, 2010 at 5:36 p.m.
We've rated President Barack Obama three different ways today.
• On the Truth-O-Meter, we examined Obama's claim on the origins of health insurance exchanges. "A lot of the ideas in terms of the (health insurance) exchange, just being able to pool and improve the purchasing power of individuals in the insurance market, that originated from the Heritage Foundation," Obama said. We found that Heritage is against all the regulations that the Democrats' new health care law imposes, but the group is widely credited for the idea of exchanges as a way to pool risk. We rated Obama's statement Mostly True.
• On the Flip-O-Meter, we looked at the issue of recess appointments. As a senator, Obama opposed the controversial recess appointment of a new ambassador to the United Nations. But Obama made his own controversial appointment last weekend when he nominated Craig Becker to the National Labor Relations Board. We rated the move a Half Flip.
• On the Obameter, we looked at Obama's promise to expand Pell grants for low-income students. We rated it Promise Kept.
Read the complete items for details and sources.
See individual items for sources.
Names in this article: Barack Obama
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact :
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag