We bring truthiness to 'The Colbert Report'
By Amy Hollyfield
Published on Thursday, April 15th, 2010 at 12:02 a.m.
PolitiFact brought some truthiness to The Colbert Report on Wednesday night, as PolitiFact editor Bill Adair appeared on the show with Jake Tapper, interim host of ABC's This Week, to explain our fact-checking of the show.
Colbert didn't understand all the fuss about fact-checking and he's convinced that our parent, the St. Petersburg Times, is Russian.
To get a taste of the Truth-O-Meter, the Colbert producers asked us to fact-check a few claims from Monday's show. Bill didn't get a chance to discuss them on the show, but you can find them on our home page. We checked:
- Jeffrey Toobin's claim that a filibuster has not been used successfully against a Supreme Court justice.
- A claim from Julian Assange that the WikiLeaks video shows the soldiers were given authority to fire before "RPGs" were mentioned.
- Colbert's claim that John Paul Stevens is the last Protestant on the Supreme Court.
If you missed the show, you can watch it online on the Colbert Web site.
We'll update this story with more about the show later today.
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact :
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag