Fact-checking O'Reilly's interview of Jon Stewart
Fox News host Bill O'Reilly and Daily Show host Jon Stewart traded wisecracks -- and a few insults -- in O'Reilly's "No Spin Zone" on Feb. 3, 2010.
O'Reilly told Stewart that it was frightening that the Daily Show host had been called "an important cultural arbiter." O'Reilly said that his audience is "primarily stoner slackers who love Obama," but that "a lot of people don't think you're smart."
Stewart shot back that O'Reilly was now the "voice of sanity" at Fox, which he likened to "being the thinnest kid at fat camp."
At times, they got serious. We checked two claims from the interview.
* O'Reilly said a poll by a Democratic pollster found Fox News "is the most trusted news operation in the country." We checked the poll and found he was right.
* Stewart complained the Republicans were being obstructionists to President Barack Obama's agenda, and cited the GOP's lack of enthusiasm for the economic stimulus even though one-third of it was for tax cuts. We found the actual figure, once you subtract the fix for the Alternative Minimum Tax, was 28 percent. Mostly True.
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact:
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag