Debunking chain e-mail
Unlike most people, we actually like getting chain e-mail -- from you, our readers.
People e-mail us regularly asking us to look into the latest outlandish claims, and we like investigating some of the more, ah, interesting claims.
Our in-box has gotten so many requests lately, we decided to check several in one go. Here are four facts from e-mails our readers asked us to check.
Here's what we found; read the individual reports for our complete reasoning and a full source list:
• One e-mail claimed that starting in 2011, "you will be required to pay taxes" on "the value of whatever health insurance you are given by the company." We rated that Pants on Fire!
• An e-mail warned, "In 20 years there will be enough Muslim voters in the U.S. to elect the president by themselves." Wrong again! Pants on Fire!
• Another e-mail said that Presidents Hoover, Truman and Eisenhower collectively ordered the deportation of at least 15 million illegal aliens. Uh, no. This one gets a False.
• Finally, an e-mail said that once the U.S. government signs a U.N. treaty on conventional arms, "all U.S. citizens will be subject to those gun laws created by foreign governments." That got a False, too.
You can read all of our fact-checks of chain e-mails on the chain e-mail page. And you can forward new chain e-mail to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We don't mind, honest!
See individual reports for sources.
Names in this article: Chain email
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact :
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag