Deem and pass explained
By Catharine Richert
Published on Wednesday, March 17th, 2010 at 7:03 p.m.
Ever heard of "deem and pass" before?
It may sound like a football play, but it's actually House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's favored procedural maneuver to pass health care reform in the lower chamber.
Such legislative gymnastics have Republicans up in arms.
"There is no precedent for what the Democrats are doing with this deception," said Florida Rep. Cliff Stearns on March 15, 2010. "We have never written a reconciliation bill to amend a law that does not exist."
See item for complete sources.
Researchers: Catharine Richert
Names in this article: Cliff Stearns
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact :
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag