Checking in on tough campaign promises
We're regularly checking the progress of more than 500 of President Barack Obama's campaign promises as we continue work on our award-winning Obameter campaign promises database. One thing we noticed about a recent group of updates: All the promises we checked were thorny issues, from handling terror suspects to how we fund wars to enforcing fiscal discipline.
Here's how Obama did in our recent group of ratings. Check the individual updates for more details and complete sources.
• We gave a Promise Kept to his promise to end the abuse of supplemental budgets for war. We report on how Obama used supplemental budgets for the war in Afghanistan, and why it doesn't constitute "abuse."
• We moved the meter from In the Works to Stalled on a promise to close the Guantanamo Bay detention center. Congress has thrown up some road blocks in the way of the administration's plans.
• We leave the meter at In the Works for ending the use of extreme rendition for terror suspects. We interviewed several experts on terrorism and human rights about the latest developments.
• We leave the meter at Stalled for Obama's promise to enforce PAYGO rules, and explain the many exceptions lawmakers have used to waive the rules.
See individual promises for sources.
Names in this article: Barack Obama
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact:
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag