PolitiFact app now available for iPhone
By Bill Adair
Published on Friday, June 24th, 2011 at 3:30 p.m.
The Truth-O-Meter is now pocket-sized.
This week, we're releasing the PolitiFact app for iPhone and other smartphones and tablets. It's a mobile version of our Pulitzer Prize-winning journalism that offers several new features to help you sort out the truth in American politics.
The app is available now for iPhone and other devices. To see if the app is available for your device, check out our app page.
The PolitiFact app, which is powered by Adobe's Flash Platform, combines the Truth-O-Meter, the Obameter and other popular features of our website with new ones only available on the app:
● The Truth Index – It’s like the Dow Jones Industrial Average of truth, a daily index that shows the ups and downs of all of our Truth-O-Meter rulings. We calculated it for the past year and a half and saw how our ratings plummeted in the 2010 campaign.
● The Flip-O-Meter Tally – A running tally that shows the latest count for Half Flips and Full Flops.
● A new e-mail feature -- Allows you to send your favorite Truth-O-Meter, Obameter and Pledge-O-Meter items to friends and co-workers.
● The Truth-O-Meter Tally – An interactive feature that allows you to compare Truth-O-Meter rulings by subject. Are there more falsehoods in claims about health care than about taxes? You can now see how they compare.
In building the app over the past few weeks, we've discovered that the unique nature of PolitiFact journalism makes it ideal for a mobile platform. And we've found the app is a great place to try new things that are not available on our site. It's priced at just $1.99. (That's a one-time cost, with no subscription required.)
The most significant new feature on the app is the Truth Index, a seven-day average of all state and national Truth-O-Meter rulings that is calculated daily. It will go up and down depending whether PolitiFact writers and editors are awarding more rulings on the True or False/Pants on Fire ends of the scale.
We'll tell you more about the Truth Index next week. But in the meantime, check out the app and let us know what you think. Send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The app stores. Buy it for just $1.99!
Researchers: Bill Adair
Email comments and suggestions for fact-checks to email@example.com or find us on Facebook, Twitter and Google+. (If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.)
We're especially interested in any chain emails or social media memes that you would like us to check out.
Keep up to date with Politifact :
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag