Did Wendy's founder flee Ohio 'on his deathbed'?
By Martha M. Hamilton
Published on Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011 at 12:24 p.m.
Ohio state Rep. Jay Hottinger, a leader of the drive to repeal the state's estate taxes, didn't have numbers to cite when he claimed that a "shockingly high number of Ohioans leave because of the tax."
But he did cite an example: "Dave Thomas left the state literally on his deathbed to avoid the estate tax," Hottinger said of the founder of the Wendy's chain.
PolitiFact Ohio put that to the Truth-O-Meter and found the exit wasn't quite so hasty.
See Truth-O-Meter item
Researchers: Martha M. Hamilton
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact :
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag