They built the danged fence . . . or did they?
By Bill Adair
Published on Tuesday, May 17th, 2011 at 8:10 a.m.
Remember John McCain's "complete the danged fence" ad in the 2010 campaign?
He was in a primary fight with J.D. Hayworth and wanted to show he was tough on border security. So he took a stroll along the Arizona-Mexico border with a local sheriff and said the government should "complete the danged fence."
Mission accomplished, said President Barack Obama at a speech in El Paso last week.
"The fence is now basically complete," Obama said. We put that to the Truth-O-Meter and found that depends on your definition of "fence."
See Truth-O-Meter item.
Researchers: Bill Adair
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact :
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag