The perfect last-minute Valentine’s Day gift
By Becky Bowers
Published on Monday, February 13th, 2012 at 4:22 p.m.
Gosh, you’re a romantic bunch.
We suggested Monday that our PolitiFact Mobile app would make a lovely last-minute Valentine’s Day gift. (It's available from iTunes and other app stores.)
What’s more heart-melting, after all, than the world's first fact-checking app -- complete with your very own Pants on Fire button?
(Our colleagues at PolitiFact Virginia suggested you give chocolate, too.)
But some of you immediately disagreed.
On Facebook, Diane said, "If my husband gave me that he'd be spending the night ALONE!"
Dana chimed in, "Oh. my. gawd. gentlemen, if you give this as a Valentine's gift to anyone who isn't an avowed politics junkie, you will be banned from the bedroom for an extended period of time. You've been warned. :)"
(You mean some people aren’t politics junkies?)
We were more inclined to agree with Angel, who said, "Nothing sexier than holding a bunch of physically unattractive politicians' feet to the fire."
Or with Simon, on Twitter: "Baby, your pants are ON FIRE."
But maybe we’re a little heat-addled from all that pants-torching.
Others on Twitter turned up the heat:
• "Politifact attempting to end my relationship."
• "Mmm, that makes me all funny inside."
• "Yeah, if one is really looking to break-up; unless she's a left politico #Maddow fan — nah, even that won't work, she hates you." (No comment.)
• "Don't want to get laid on Valentine's Day? Give your loved one the PolitiFact Mobile app!"
• "Much like a Republican's wedding vows, it'll be Half-True." (We were under the impression this was a bipartisan challenge.)
• "Lighter than a box of rocks!"
• "No, please don't …"
But why try to charm your sweetie with perishable roses and calorie-laden treats, when you can nourish the mind for less than a heart-topped latte? Nothing says true love like ... the Truth-O-Meter.
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact:
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag