Fact-checking Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl’s release
By Angie Drobnic Holan
Published on Friday, June 6th, 2014 at 11:56 a.m.
The return of Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, held for about five years by the Taliban, has raised issues about constitutional powers, the war in Afghanistan, and even Bergdahl’s own actions.
Here at PolitiFact, we’ve done two fact-checks, updated a promise on our Obameter, and published a nuanced story without issuing a rating on our Truth-O-Meter.
• We fact-checked Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, who said President Barack Obama broke a decades-old policy of not negotiating with terrorists. We actually found a number of instances where the United States did negotiate with terrorists. We rated his statement Mostly False.
• We fact-checked Sen. John McCain of Arizona, who said the Taliban members that Obama traded for Bergdahl’s release were "the highest high-risk people." We found that some of the men were very senior members of the Taliban. We rated his statement Mostly True.
• We revisited Obama’s campaign promise that he wouldn’t issue signing statements that nullify the rule of Congress. But Obama did issue a signing statement on a law about notifying Congress of detainee releases from Guantanamo Bay, so that pretty much contradicted his campaign promise. We rated his campaign promise Promise Broken.
• Susan Rice, Obama’s national security adviser, said on the Sunday shows that Bergdahl served "with honor and distinction." We didn’t issue a rating, because all the facts aren’t known about Bergdahl’s capture. Read the story to find out why one expert said Rice’s comments were "premature and not at all politically wise."
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact :
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag