Debunking the Obama 'firsts' chain email
Reader recently forwarded us a chain email critical of President Barack Obama that’s been making the rounds since at least 2011. The email offers roughly three dozen "firsts" about Obama, all of them highly unflattering.
"Mr. Hope and Change wants to create a nation humbled; humiliated, casting-aside capitalism and individual freedoms for one where 'we the people' are government controlled," says one version of the email. "This would be a system that genuflects mediocrity, steals personal aspiration and opportunity, and punishes those who strive to succeed."
Many of the email's claims struck us as potentially inaccurate, so we decided to spot-check a few claims. (Here’s the full text of the e-mail we received.)
Our research into four claims showed they were inaccurate. We rated three of the claims Pants on Fire and another False.
Here are the claims; click through the links to read the evidence for yourself.
- Obama is the "first president to appoint 45 czars to replace elected officials in his office." False.
- Obama is the "first president to keep a dog-trainer on retainer for $102,000 a year at taxpayer expense." Pants on Fire.
- Obama is the "first president to file lawsuits against the states he swore an oath to protect." Pants on Fire.
- Obama is the "first president to terminate America’s ability to put a man in space." Pants on Fire.
See individual checks for complete sources.
Names in this article: Barack Obama
We want to hear your suggestions and comments.
For tips or comments on our Obameter and our GOP-Pledge-O-Meter promise databases, please e-mail the Obameter. If you are commenting on a specific promise, please include the wording of the promise.For comments about our Truth-O-Meter or Flip-O-Meter items, please e-mail the Truth-O-Meter. We’re especially interested in seeing any chain e-mails you receive that you would like us to check out. If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.
Keep up to date with Politifact :
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag