Can President Obama 'wave a magic wand' and give the right to vote?
By Louis Jacobson
Published on Wednesday, July 24th, 2013 at 10:48 a.m.
In an interview with World Net Daily, U.S. Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., warned House Republicans that as soon as illegal immigrants become voters, they will vote for Democrats. Bachmann said Republicans could lose the House in 2014 if they weren’t careful.
"Because, I think the president, even by executive order, could again wave his magic wand before 2014 and he’d say, ‘Now, all of the new legal Americans are going to have voting rights,’ " Bachmann said.
We reviewed the evidence and found that Bachmann's claim was pretty far-fetched. We rated her statement Pants on Fire! Read our full report for details.
See individual fact-check for complete sources.
Researchers: Louis Jacobson
Email comments and suggestions for fact-checks to firstname.lastname@example.org or find us on Facebook, Twitter and Google+. (If you send us a comment, we'll assume you don't mind us publishing it unless you tell us otherwise.)
We're especially interested in any chain emails or social media memes that you would like us to check out.
Keep up to date with Politifact :
- Sign up for our e-mail (about once a week)
- Put a free PolitiFact widget on your blog or Web page
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Truth-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on GOP Pledge-O-Meter items
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds on Obameter items
- Advertise on PolitiFact
- Shop the PolitiFact store for T-shirts, hats and other PolitiFact swag